Lenart Škof, PhD
Principal Research Associate
Head of Institute
Phone: +386 5 663 77 00
- Philosophical Theology
- Social and Political Ethics
- Indian Philosophy
- American Pragmatism
- Feminist Philosophy and Theology
Biography:Lenart Škof holds B.A. in Philosophy (1995, Faculty of Arts, Univ. of Ljubljana), M.A. in Theology (1998), and Ph.D in Religious Studies (2001) from Faculty of Theology, Univ. of Ljubljana.
Lenart Škof is head of the Institute for Philosophical and Religious Studies at ZRS Koper and dean of the Institutum Studiorum Humanitatis of AMEU.
Lenart Škof is a regular member of Class VII »World Religions« at European Academy of Sciences and Arts, Salzburg (EASA).
He is editor-in chief (with Magdalena Górska) of “Routledge Critical Perspectives on Breath and Breathing”.
His main works are:
- Antigone’s Sisters: On the Matrix of Love (New York: SUNY Press, 2021);
- Shame, Gender Violence and Ethics: Terrors of Injustice, ed. by L. Škof and S. Hawke (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2021);
- Atmospheres of Breathing, ed. by L. Škof and P. Berndtson (New York: SUNY Press, 2018);
- Ethik des Atems (Freiburg: Karl Alber Verlag, 2017);
- Breath of Proximity: Intersubjectivity, Ethics, and Peace (Dordrecht: Springer, 2015);
- Pragmatist Variations on Ethical and Intercultural Life (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2012).
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Distinguished Visitors Programme, India (University of Delhi and Jadavpur University) (2016);
- »Herald of Science« (»Glasnik znanosti«; award for exceptional scientific achievements of established researchers), Science and Research Center of Koper, University of Primorska, Slovenia (2013);
- Humboldt Grant for Experienced Researchers (7 months), Germany (Universität Erfurt, Max-Weber-Kolleg; hosts: prof. dr. Hans Joas and prof. dr. Thomas Schmidt) (2010–2012);
- Fulbright Research Grant (8 months), USA (Stanford University; academic supervisor: prof. dr. Richard Rorty) (2005–2006);
- »Svečana listina Univerze na Primorskem« (University’s junior scholar award), University of Primorska, Slovenia (2005);
- KAAD Research Grant (6 months), Germany (Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen; supervisor: prof. dr. dr. Michael Eckert) (1999–2000);
- »Tomaževa nagrada« (Faculty’s award for an outstanding M.A. thesis), Theological Faculty, University of Ljubljana (1998).
He was invited to give lectures at several international scientific conferences and universities:
- “Schelling with the Vedas: Philosophical Reading of the Rigvedic Creation Hymn (RS X.129)”, Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, June 18, 2019);
- “Air and Breath: On New Perspectives in Humanities and Sustainable Development”, Heliopolis University for Sustainable Development, Cairo, June 12, 2019);
- “A cosmology of love: reading Antigone with Savitri”, Jadavpur University, Faculty of Arts, Dept. of Philosophy, Centre of Advanced Study in Philosophy, Kolkata, India, April 4, 2019);
- “A theology of the feminine divine: Wisdom-Sophia and Virgin Mary”, Jadavpur University, Faculty of Arts, Dept. of Philosophy, Centre of Advanced Study in Philosophy, Kolkata, India, April 5, 2019);
- “On Ontology of Love: Reading Schelling’s Clara”, Deakin Philosophy Seminar Series, Deakin University, Australia (November 2018);
- 23rd International Summer University, Invited Speaker at “Interreligious Dialogue” round table, Institute of Advanced Studies Koszeg, Hungary (July 2018);
- “Democracy as a Human Value: On the Ideal of Ethical Citizenship”, Australian Catholic University (ACU), ACU Leadership Centre Brisbane and ACU Melbourne Campus, Australia (June 2017);
- “The Philosophy of Breath in the Vedas, Schelling and Heidegger”, University of Delhi (Dept. of Sanskrit) and Jadavpur University (Dept, of Philosophy), New Delhi and Kolkata, India (March 2016);
- “Über die Möglichkeit des Windes bei Heidegger: auf dem Weg zu einem künftigen Zeitalter des Atems”, Institut für Philosophie der Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria (November 2015);
- “On Sacred Genealogies in Antigone, Mary and Sāvitrī: cosmology, ethics, and peace”, Linköpings Universitet (Tema Genus – Higher Seminar Lecture), Linköping, Sweden (October 2015);
- “Towards Ethics of Breath”, Universität Erfurt, Philosophische Fakultät, Seminar für Philosophie, Erfurt, Germany (November 2010);
- “Mild Gestures and the Spirit of Democracy”, Universität Erfurt, Max-Weber-Kolleg, Erfurt, Germany (November 2010);