Who we are
The newborn Mediterranean Institute for Environmental Studies has been established in 2018. The interdisciplinary research team combines biology and life sciences, biotechnology, philosophy, sociology, economics, food technology and health studies experts.
Competences and achievements
Through research, the Institute promotes excellence and responsibility. The researchers of the Institute undertake mainly interdisciplinary applied national and international research projects, produce scientific and expert reports and papers, organise and take part of scientific and expert meetings. Research areas of the Institute are oriented mainly to the Mediterranean. Nevertheless, the global integration of all words societies, cultures, environments is taken in great consideration to develop more integrated, holistic and balanced sustainability perspectives.
Mission and vision
The mission of the institute is to become a reference centre for responsible research and innovation that addresses social, economic and wider environmental dimensions of Mediterranean region in a holistic and integral way. In our vision, we believe that, fundamentally, human communities need to re-connect to nature. In order to ensure this re-junction, collective consciousness and environmental awareness, responsible technology innovations, inter- and trans-disciplinary forms of knowledge and researches should be integrated in creation of new sustainable economic opportunities. To follow this vision, we see our research contribution in priority areas as:
- sustainable management of natural resources, ecosystems conservation, valuation of ecosystem services and a holistic approach in research of all biodiversity dimensions;
- adaptation to climate changes and transition to low carbon society;
- sustainable lifestyles to preserve health and assure longevity;
- quality and safety food production and nutrition;
- development of a sustainable and inclusive society, equality, social justice, cultural unity in diversity, peaceful co-evolution of nations and civilisation;
- sustainable rural and urban development and management in order to increase competitiveness, functionality, resilience and adaptability of Mediterranean areas.
Head: Shé Mackenzie Hawke, PhD, Research Associate
Phone: +386 5 663 77 00
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
Surviving the Anthropocene through Inventing New Ecological Justice and Biosocial Philosophical Literacy
FINISHED RESEARCH PROJECTS
ONGOING INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS
ECO-SMART Ecosystem Services Market for an Advanced Policy to Protect NATURA 2000 areas
Cooperation program Interreg V-A Italia-Slovenia 2014-2020
The ECO-SMART is a cross-border cooperation program project that faces the challenges to more effectively monitor the state of climate change and to plan appropriate adaptation measures to prevent the negative effects that threaten the quality of biodiversity in selected NATURA 2000 sites of the included regions.
The general purpose of the ECO-SMART project is to assess at cross-border level the economic feasibility of biodiversity protection measures and climate change adaptation measures in NATURA 2000 sites through the pilot introduction of payment for ecosystem services tools.
The specific objectives of the ECO-SMART project are:
- the use of harmonized approaches for the analyses and evaluation of ecosystem services;
- creating methodological frameworks that will enable the analysis of climate change vulnerability in selected NATURA 2000 sites;
- pilot design of adaptation plans, of which the sustainability will be ensured through models of payment for ecosystem services.
Project duration: 24 months (1. 4. 2020- 31. 3. 2022)
LP: Veneto Region
PP2: Municipality of Monfalcone
PP3: University of Padua, Department of industrial engineering
PP4: Regional Development Centre Koper
PP5: Science and Research Centre Koper
Participating institute of the SRC Koper: Mediterranean Institute for Environmental Studies
Project leader on behalf of the SRC Koper: Liliana Vižintin, PhD (Liliana.Vizintin@zrs-kp.si)
Project website: www.ita-slo.eu/eco-smart