VASILIJ VALENČIČ, PhD, Research Associate
Phone: +386 5 663 77 00
- Plant production/Oliveculture
- Chemical characterization of olive oil
- Fatty acid composition
- Organoleptic assessment of virgin olive oil and table olives
Vasilij Valenčič graduated at the Biotechnical Faculty of the University of Ljubljana on 2nd July 2004, and on 28th January 2010, at the same institution, successfully defended his doctoral dissertation entitled The influence of production technology on the quality of table olives from Slovenian Istria, the supervisor was prof. Terezija Golob, PhD, the co-advisor was prof. Sonja Smole Možina, PhD.
Vasilij Valenčič is a Research Associate at the ZRS Koper Institute for Oliveculture since 2013, and at the Laboratory of the Institute of Oliveculture he holds the positions of a responsible analyst, a deputy panel leader for organoleptic assessment of virgin olive oil and panel leader for organoleptic assessment of table olives. Vasilij Valenčič participates in organizing events, conferences and project activities of the Institute for Oliveculture.
In 2002 he started working in the field of oliveculture, in the laboratory LABS Ltd., and in 2006 he started working on the projects of ZRS Koper. In 2007 he obtained the status of young researcher. From 2010 to 2013, he was partially employed by LABS Ltd. in the position of a researcher – chemical analyst, partially at the University of Primorska, Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies, where until 2016 he held the position of an assistant professor of Olive processing technologies. From 2008 to 2017 he was a member of the Olive Council of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food.
Vasilij Valenčič is a co-author of scientific and professional articles. Up until 2021 his bibliography counts 119 units.
In 2005 he received the Bitenc Award of the Biotechnical Faculty of the University of Ljubljana for his graduation thesis entitled Quality
evaluation of virgin olive oil.
Vasilij Valenčič has worked on the following national and international projects:
- Oleum: Advanced solutions for assuring the overall authenticity and quality of olive oil, (EU Framework Programme for Research & Innovation HORIZON 2020) 2016 – 2019;
- Utilization of olive growing by-products, (V4-1621) 2016 – 2019;
- Establishment of technological guidelines for irrigation of olives in Slovenia, (V4-1411) 2014 – 2017;
- Determination and Evaluation of Olive Genetic Resources in Slovenian National Collections Using DNA Markers, (V4-1056) 2010 – 2012;
- Phytophenols for Food Shelf-life and Food Safety Improvement, (V4-1079) 2010 – 2012;
- Determining the Authenticity and Quality of Olive Oil; Bilateral project Slovenia –Montenegro, (Bilateral project Slovenia –Montenegro) 2014 – 2015;
- WELLFOOD: Promoting Food Innovation for Wellness in the Adriatic, (Adriatic IPA Cross Border Cooperation 2007 – 2013) 2013 – 2015;
- OSIPPPIT: Organization of Direct Sales of Agricultural Products with the Help of the Internet, (OP IPA Slovenia – Croatia 2007 – 2013) 2013 – 2015;
- ISTRIA’S GROWTH: Natural Heritage Conservation—the Revitalization of Fruit Species Characteristic of Istria, (OP IPA Slovenia – Croatia 2007 – 2013) 2013 – 2015;
- UE LI JE II: Olive oil: symbol of quality in cross-border area, (Cross-Border Cooperation Programme Italy – Slovenia 2007 – 2013) 2011 – 2014;
- TROPLO: Establishment of Cross-Border Cooperation in Composting Side Products of Olive Growing, (Interreg IIIA SLO-IT 2000 – 2006) 2005 – 2007.