ROK SVETLIČ, PhD, Principal Research Associate
Tel.: +386 5 663 77 00
- Philosophy of law
- German classical philosophy
In 1992 Rok Svetlič enrolled at Faculty of Law of University of Ljubljana. Since he wanted to deepen the theoretical background of the study, in 1994 he enrolled also at Faculty of Arts of University of Ljubljana (department of philosophy). He graduated at both faculties. He continued his studies at postgraduate level, which he completed in 2002 with the defense of the master’s thesis entitled “Subject of the Ethical Mind”. In 2005, he defended his doctoral dissertation titled “The Law and Justice – Rehabilitation of Natural Law at Ronald Dworkin”, which, like the B.A. and M.A, was written under the mentoring of Akad. Prof. Valentin Hribar, PhD.
In the period from 2001 to 2006, he was a researcher at the Department of Philosophy at Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana. In 2006, he starts to work at Faculty of Humanistic Studies and Science and Research Center of the University of Primorska. Within his pedagogical activity he lectured subjects “Human Rights” and “Philosophy of Law”. At the faculty, he was a head of the Department of Philosophy and a head of Chair for Law. He also exercised managerial functions (vice-dean) and leaded several committees. He was a mentor to many graduate, master and doctoral students. Within this institution, he organized and participated in the organization of numerous international congresses.
Up until 2019 Rok Svetlič published 36 scientific articles, 16 chapters in monographs, 5 monographs and one university textbook.
Rok Svetlič is currently the leader of the national research project (Slovene Research Agency) Theory of Punishment and Democratic Culture in Slovenia
(J5-9342), and as a researcher he participated in the following research projects:
- Revival of cosmic justice: the poetics of feminine, (J6―8265) May 2017 – April 2020;
- Religion as a Factor of Ethics and Intercultural Dialogue, (J6―6851) July 2014 – June 2017;
- Slovenian Diplomats and Foreign Policy Aspects of the Independence of the Republic of Slovenia, 1980-1992, (J6―6832) July 2014 – June 2017;
- Between politics and ethics: Towards a new global culture of hospitality and non-violence, (J6-5565) August 2013 – July 2016;
- Border Fascism – the social and cultural history of fascism in the Primorska region, (J5-5551) August 2013 ― July 2016;
- The ethics of animals as a paradigm of the ethics of sustainable development, (J6―3614) May 2010 – April 2013;
- Freedom of speech in historical, humanistic and social aspects, (J7-3629) May 2010 ― April 2013;
- Unger’s democratic experimentalism: a pragmatic and intercultural view, (J6―0238) February 2008 – January 2011;
- Ethics in Education for Sustainable Development, (V5-0441) September 2008 – August 2010;
- Analysis of shared intercultural values as a factor of democratic governance and decision-making, (L6-9486) January 2007 – December 2009;
- Issues of humanity in the perspective of Slovenia’s cultural, scientific and social development and the need for a humanistic discussion, (V6-0278) October 2006 – September 2008;
- Phenomenology of Understanding Democracy and Statehood in Slovenia and Europe, (J6-7240) September 2005 – August 2008;
- Globalization, world peace and global ethos, (M5―0053) August 2004 – August 2006;
- Intercultural aspects of the development of phenomenology and hermeneutics in Slovenia and Europe, (J6-3193) July 2001 – June 2004.