LENART ŠKOF, PhD, Senior Research Associate
Tel.: +386 5 663 77 00
- Philosophical Theology; Social and Political Ethics; Indian Philosophy; American Pragmatism; Feminist Philosophy and Theology
Lenart Škof holds B.A. in Philosophy (1995, Faculty of Arts, Univ. of Ljubljana), M.A. in Theology (1998), and Ph.D in Religious Studies (2001) from Faculty of Theology, Univ. of Ljubljana.
Lenart Škof is Head of Institute for Philosophical Studies at ZRS Koper and Acting Head of Mediterranean Institute for Environmental Studies (MIOS) at ZRS Koper. He is Visiting Professor of Religion at Faculty of Theology and Faculty of Social Sciences, both at Univ. of Ljubljana. He is also Visiting Professor of Religion at Nan Tien Institute, (Wollongong, Australia). Lenart Škof is also employed as Professor of Humanities at Alma Mater Europaea ECM and ISH.
In the period from 2013 to 2018 he published 13 original articles, 11 chapters in monographs and 5 scientific monographs.
For his work Lenart Škof received several awards and grants:
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Distinguished Visitors Programme, India (University of Delhi and Jadavpur University) (2016);
- »Herald of Science« (»Glasnik znanosti«; award for exceptional scientific achievements of established researchers), Science and Research Center of Koper, University of Primorska, Slovenia (2013);
- Humboldt Grant for Experienced Researchers (7 months), Germany (Universität Erfurt, Max-Weber-Kolleg; hosts: prof. dr. Hans Joas and prof. dr. Thomas Schmidt) (2010–2012);
- Fulbright Research Grant (8 months), USA (Stanford University; academic supervisor: prof. dr. Richard Rorty) (2005–2006);
- »Svečana listina Univerze na Primorskem« (University’s junior scholar award), University of Primorska, Slovenia (2005);
- AAD Research Grant (6 months), Germany (Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen; supervisor: prof. dr. dr. Michael Eckert) (1999–2000);
- »Tomaževa nagrada« (Faculty’s award for an outstanding M.A. thesis), Theological Faculty, University of Ljubljana (1998).
He was invited to give lectures at several international scientific conferences and universities:
- “On Ontology of Love: Reading Schelling’s Clara”, Deakin Philosophy Seminar Series, Deakin University, Australia (November 2018);
- 23rd International Summer University, Invited Speaker at “Interreligious Dialogue” round table, Institute of Advanced Studies Koszeg, Hungary (July 2018);
- “Democracy as a Human Value: On the Ideal of Ethical Citizenship”, Australian Catholic University (ACU), ACU Leadership Centre Brisbane and ACU Melbourne Campus, Australia (June 2017);
- “The Philosophy of Breath in the Vedas, Schelling and Heidegger”, University of Delhi (Dept. of Sanskrit) and Jadavpur University (Dept, of Philosophy), New Delhi and Kolkata, India (March 2016);
- “Über die Möglichkeit des Windes bei Heidegger: auf dem Weg zu einem künftigen Zeitalter des Atems”, Institut für Philosophie der Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria (November 2015);
- “On Sacred Genealogies in Antigone, Mary and Sāvitrī: cosmology, ethics, and peace”, Linköpings Universitet (Tema Genus – Higher Seminar Lecture), Linköping, Sweden (October 2015);
- “Towards Ethics of Breath”, Universität Erfurt, Philosophische Fakultät, Seminar für Philosophie, Erfurt, Germany (November 2010);
- “Mild Gestures and the Spirit of Democracy”, Universität Erfurt, Max-Weber-Kolleg, Erfurt, Germany (November 2010);
- “Filozofija, vzgoja in medkulturnost” [Philosophy, Education and Interculturality], Akademia techniczno-humanistyczna w Bielsku-białej, Wydział Humanistyczno- Społeczny, Katedra Studiów Środkowoeuropejskich, Bielsko-biała, Poland (December 2005);
- “Interculturality, Solidarity and Political Ethics”, Univerzita Palackého v Olomoci, Filosofická fakulta, Katedre filosofie, Olomouc, Czech Republic (November 2005);
- “Uvod u komparativno filozofsko mišljenje: metode i komparacije” [An Introduction to Comparative Philosophical Thought: Methods and Comparisons], Univerzitet u Sarajevu, Filozofski fakultet, Odsjek za filozofiju i sociologiju, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina (May 2004).
Lenart Škof is (was) project leader of national projects (Slovene Research Agency):
- Oživljanje kozmične pravičnosti: poetika feminilnega [Reanimating Cosmic Justice: Poethics of the Feminine] Duration: May, 2017 – April, 2020;
- Med etiko in politiko: K novi svetovni kulturi gostoljubja in nenasilja [Between Ethics and Politics: Towards A New World Culture of Hospitality and Non-violence] Duration: August, 2013 – July, 2016;
- Etika živali kot paradigma etike trajnostnega razvoja [Animal Ethics as a Paradigm of Sustainable Development Ethics] Duration: May, 2010 – April, 2013;
- Ungerjev demokratični eksperimentalizem: pragmatistični in medkulturni pogled [R.M. Unger’s Democratic Experimentalism: Pragmatist and Intercultural Approach] Duration: February, 2008 – January, 2011;
- Vloga primerjalnih modelov v konstrukciji medkulturne filozofije [Role of comparative Models in Construction of intercultural Philosophy; postdoctoral reasearch project] Duration: July, 2002 – June, 2004.
and director and co-director of many international conferences:
- Terrors of Injustice: Gender Violence and Ethics of Shame, Utrecht University, coorganized by Science and Research Centre Koper, Utrecht University and Norwegian People’s Aid, (October 4-5, 2018);
- Rethinking incarnation: theology, phenomenology and deconstruction, organized by Université de Montpellier 3/CRISES, Institut Protestant de Théologie-Montpellier, University of Ljubljana (Faculty of Theology), University of Vienna (Institute of Philosophy), held in Montpellier, (February 24–25, 2017);
- Borders debordering: Towards New World Culture of Hospitality, organized by Institute for Philosophical Studies, Univ. of Primorska, held in Gozd Martuljek, (June 30-July 3, 2016);
- Atem/Atmen (pneuma, prana, qi, ki) Conference, organized by Universität Hildesheim, Hildesheim, (July 2-5, 2015);
- The Poesis of Peace, organized by Institute for Philosophical Studies, Univ. of Primorska, held in Gozd Martuljek, (May 15-18, 2014);
- Living with Consequences, organization and venue: Faculty of Humanities, Koper, Slovenia, (October 14–15, 2011);
- The Age of Breath: Yoga, the Body and the Feminine, organized by Faculty of Humanities, Koper, Slovenia, held in Portorož, Slovenia, (May 6–8, 2010);
- Ayurveda: A New Way for Healthy Life in Europe, organized by Faculty of Humanities, Koper, Slovenia, held in Portorož, Slovenia, (March 5–6, 2009);
- Freedom and Democracy: European Perceptions, European Perspectives, Freiheit und Demokratie: europäische Perzeptionen, europäische Perspektiven, organization and venue: Faculty of Humanities, Koper, Slovenia, (December 4–6, 2008).
Lenart Škof is (was) member of services:
- Ethics Committee of the Institute of Oncology, Ljubljana (2016- );
- Ministry of Science & Slovenian Academy of Arts and Sciences, Council for national commission for integrity in science, Ljubljana (2016–2017);
- Ministry of Culture, Expert Commission for the Media Program, Ljubljana (2013–2015);
- Ministry of Science, Education and Sport, National Council for Education, Ljubljana (2009–2014);
- Ministry of the Environment, Group for the Treatment of GMO, Ljubljana (2006–2010);
- Ministry of Science, Group for the Quality Supervision and Implementation of the Bologna process, Ljubljana (2004–2006);
- Društvo za primerjalno religiologijo [Society for Comparative Religion; president];
- Slovensko filozofsko društvo [Slovene Philosophical Society];
- International Pragmatism Society;
- Australasian Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy (ASACP);
- Schopenhauer Gesellschaft;
- Gesellschaft für interkulturelle Philosophie;
- The Society of Richard Rorty;
and boards of editors:
- Confluence: Online Journal of World Philosophies (Advisory Board member 2014–2016);
- “Canada and the Americas/le Canada et les Amériques” (Book series, University of Ottawa; Editorial Board member 2013–);
- Annales, Ser. Hist. et Soc., (Editor – Humanities Section 2009–);
- Poligrafi, (Editor-in-Chief 2007–2015);
- Poligrafi, (Editorial Board member 2015–).