VID JAKULIN, PhD, Principal Research Associate
Phone: +386 5 663 77 00
- Criminal law
- Economic criminal law
- International criminal law
In October 1982 he graduated at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. In April 1989 he defended his master thesis Entitled »Safety Measures in Criminal Law« at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia and in June 1994 he successfully defended his doctoral thesis entitled »Legal Consequences of Conviction in Criminal Law« at the same Faculty.
He is a full professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia (Chair of the Department of Criminal Law) where he teaches Criminal Law on both graduate and postgraduate level of Criminal Law study. He is an expert of the Council of Europe and European Union for criminal law and economic criminal law. In December 2016 he was appointed for three years as the Guest Professor of the Research Centre for European Criminal Law of the Institute of Law of Shanghai Academy for Social Sciences (SASS). Besides that he works as a principal research fellow at the Law institute of the ZRS Koper.
- From 1985 to 1991 he was a Junior Research Assistant at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana;
- From 1991 to 1996 he was an Assistant at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana;
- From 1996 to 2001 he was an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana;
- From 2001 to 2007 he was Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana.
From 2001 to 2007 he held multiple lectures as a guest Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Rijeka, Croatia.
From 2007 on he is a Full Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Since his employment at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana he takes part of academic as well as research work of the Faculty. For more than ten years he lectured substantive and procedural criminal law at the postgraduate programme of the history studies – section of arhivistics at the Faculty of Arts at University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Besides his regular participation in research and academic work at the Faculty of Law, he is involved in research and professional activities outside the Faculty. Special emphasis should be given to the fact that he was a member of a group of specialists, who prepared the Draft Criminal Code of the Republic of Slovenia.
He participates in the training of magistrates and has held several training courses in criminal law for magistrates.
On the proposal of the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana he was elected a member of the Judicial Council of the Republic of Slovenia and performed this function from July 1999 to June 2004. In the period from March 2001 to November 2002 he assumed a function of the vice-president of this body.
He was involved in the activities of the university bodies. For two terms prof. Jakulin served as the member of the complaint commission for the admission of students in student housing.
He was a president of the Administrative Board of the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana for one term (in the years 1998 and 1999). Since 1991 he is a member of the Senate of the Faculty of Law of the University of Ljubljana.
Up until 2019 prof. Jakulin published almost 60 various scientific publications.
Besides his regular participation in research and academic work at the Faculty of Law, prof. Jakulin is also involved in research and professional activities outside the Faculty.
- As an expert of the Council of Europe and European Union for criminal law and economic crime law he was selected for the participation in the “Project on Improving Legislation and Practices on Dealing with Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism in the Russian Federation (MOLI-RU Policy Advice Project)”.
- In the spring 2014 he was selected as a TAIEX expert of European Union, in charge of the assistance to the Republic of Serbia in the modernisation of criminal legislation and its harmonisation with international legal instruments.
He has been or still is included as a researcher in the following the national research project and programmes (Slovene Research Agency):
- Contemporary tendencies in substantive criminal law (V5-0933) September 2004 – November 2005;
- Theory of Punishment and Democratic Culture in Slovenia (J5-9342) July 2018 – June 2021;
- Comparative Law (PO-0501-1608) January 1999 – December 2003;
- Incorporation of the EU Legal Terminology into the Slovenian Legal System (P5-0217) Januar 2004 – December 2023.
He is active in various professional associations. From 1986 onwards he is a member of the Slovenian Society of Criminal Law and Criminology and from 1991 to 1995 he was its secretary. From 1993 onwards he has been a member of the International Association of Penal Law – IAPL. During several years he was a secretary of the section of this association and for several years the president of the Slovenian section of this association. From 1993 onwards he has been a member of the Slovenian Association of Constitutional Law. He is also a member of the Association of University Teachers.
He is member of editorial boards of several foreign scientific and professional journals:
- Pravni vjesnik : tromjesečni glasnik za pravne i društveno-humanističke znanosti Pravnog fakulteta Sveučilišta J.J. Strossmayer u Osijeku. Osijek: Pravni fakultet;
- Časopis Vještak. Banja Luka: Centar za vještačenje i procjenjivanje Zenit;
- Journal of Eastern European Criminal Law. Bucureşti: Universul Juridic;
- Jurydyčnyj visnyk, Povitrjane i kosmične pravo. Kiïv: Nacional´nyj aviacijnyj universitet;
- Revija za kriminologiju i krivično pravo. Beograd: Udruženje za krivično pravo i kriminologiju Srbije i Crne Gore: Institut za kriminološka i sociološka istraživanja;
- Strani pravni život. Beograd: Institut za uporedno pravo;
- Zbornik Instituta za kriminološka i sociološka istraživanja. Beograd: Institut za kriminološka i sociološka istraživanja.